Welcome to the ISKCON Disciple Course. This course is meant to help you deepen your understanding of guru-tattva and guru-padasraya (taking shelter of Guru) within the multiple guru culture of ISKCON. It is designed for new devotees preparing to take initiation, but is also recommended for leaders, preachers, counselors and educators in ISKCON.
This course was developed over a two-year period under the direction of the GBC Guru Services Committee with the combined efforts of leading educators in ISKCON. This course is based on the teachings of Srila Prabhupada and the current ISKCON Law with reference to the writings from the broader Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition.
1. The candidate must be chanting sixteen rounds and following the four regulative principles for more than one year.
2. You must be recommended by local ISKCON Temple President/Authority who knows you very well, certifying that you have been engaged favorably in the preaching mission of Lord Chaitanya for the past one year.
This course is divided into the following 4 topics
01. Introduction, Theory and Context (Guru Tattva, The Parampara System) (Lessons 1 to 4)
02. Establishing the Relationship with Guru (Lessons 5 to 7)
03. Acting in Relationship with the Guru (Lessons 8 to 11)
04. Cooperatively Fulfilling the Relationship and Consolidation (Lessons 12 to 14)
You are required to study the video lessons to attempt the MCQs.
These quizzes are based on the video lessons and also based on Student’s Handbook (SHB)
The candidate also has to appear for the following exams:
01. MCQs after each video
02. Short Assignment Questions at regular intervals
01. Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
The grades of MCQs are automatically calculated by the system.
While you are attempting the multiple-choice quiz, you shall see total number of questions on left panel and also the countdown counter.
Once you attempt any question, the color of the question number on the left shall change to light gray.
Unattempted questions remain white in color.
You can change the choice of any question, before finally submitting the quiz.
After you submit the quiz, you shall see your marks (calculated by the system) appearing in the gradebook.
Each question is for one minute and carries one mark.
There are two attempts for each MCQ.
The highest grade between the two attempts shall be considered as your final grade for that MCQ.
There is a total of 14 MCQs, one for each lesson.
02. Short Assignment Questions (OBAs)
There are a total of 5 assignment questions to be answered as it appears during the course, in 150-200 words.
Assignments drafts can be saved in the system.
There is only one attempt for any assignments, therefore you may thoroughly check before finally submitting the assignments.
When you click the final ‘Add Submission’ button, then assignment submission shall be considered final, and you will not be able to make any changes.
There is manual grading for the assignments, therefore after you submit the assignments, grades shall not immediately appear in the gradebook till teacher (or tutor) gives manual grading.
The tutor may give comments to your answers.
The candidate will be considered to have passed the course if he/she gets at least 65% marks.
The marks are based individually on MCQs and Short Assignment Questions.
If the candidate has scored less than 65%, he/she will be given a second chance.
Note: All students are required to keep a printout of the Student’s Handbook with them for reference while watching the videos.
Exam Policy for those studying together
(For example: Husband-Wife, Family members, etc.)
01. You may study together, prepare notes together but your answers must be submitted individually based on your individual understanding.
02. Verbatim answers from each other shall not be accepted.
For each exam the marks will be distributed as follows.
Short assignments: 20%
You will be considered to have passed the course if you get at least the above-mentioned percentage in each.
Distribution of marks:
MCQs = 143 marks
Short Assignments = 25 marks (5 marks each)
TOTAL = 168 marks
Here are a few guidelines for this course
Minimum requirements for administrative purposes.
01. Download the following recommendation letter.
02. Fill up all fields and send us at email@example.com
Guidelines for asking questions or sending your queries
When you are sending the message, please send by email mentioning all the necessary details.
1. Please mention the name of the course in the subject.
For example, Journey of self-discovery (English), ISKCON Disciple Course (English)
2. Name/Number of quiz/assignment where you are facing any issue.
3. If your grades are not displayed properly in the gradebook, then please mention the number of the quiz or assignment.
4. If you are facing any issue with login (password not working), please mention your first name, last name and email which is used for registering at the site.
5. If you are facing any other issue, then please try to mention it more clearly with screenshot so that it is easy to locate it and resolve it.
Following are guidelines for submitting open book assignments,
01. Write your ID number and Full Name at the top right side of the first page of your assignment.
02. Write page numbers (1, 2, 3, …) in sequence at the bottom right side of every page of your assignment.
03. Your handwriting should be easy to read.
04. Use dark blue or black pen for writing.
05. Take high resolution photo of the assignments. Leave some border space for each page so that all write-up is captured in the photo.
06. If you are sending assignment by PDF file by combining all pages, then please see that all pages are arranged in sequence.
07. Submit all your open book assignments in this way.
Communication email for this course is firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful graduates will receive an ISKCON Disciple Course certificate authorized by the G.B.C. Guru Services Committee.
Once the grade of the last assignment (5th open book assignment) is updated in the grade book, you should be able to download your own certificate (Digital copy in PDF) at the end of the course.
Your name on the certificate shall be displayed according to the data entry at the time of registration. If you want your name to be displayed in a particular way, you may edit your profile (Edit profile) at the upper right corner of the site and then again download the certificate after refreshing the page.
Security and authenticity of certificate
For security and authenticity of certificate, there is one system-generated alphanumeric code printed on each certificate.
This is unique feature our certification system.
This shall avoid any duplication of the certificates with users of same name.
We are maintaining records of all certificates issued.
In case, you lose the copy of certificate, you may again download from the system.
It shall be printed with same unique code.
Please do not send any request for issuing new certificate to system admin or course admin.
Following certificate shall be available at the end of the course for each student to download.
Navin Gopal Das
ISKCON Disciple Course (English) Testimonials from successful candidates
These are the testimonials from successful candidates.
I want to thank each and every one who is conducting this IDC Course. Before doing this course, I knew nothing about ISKCON structure and GBC. After completing this course my love for Srila Prabhupada increased more and I am feeling blessed to be a part of ISKCON and a small soldier in Prabhupada’s army.
Thank you for making this world a better place and spreading Krishna consciousness in a big way. You have a magical bond with Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
We are so happy to write a testimonial! The course was a lot of fun! We had a wonderful adventure in learning. We love how we can conveniently take the course at home at our leisure. It’s a dream come true to be able to take our time, enjoy all of the videos, and happily do the assignments and quizzes in the convenience of home! Thanks for all your hard work to make the Diksha Course so pleasurable! The videos were splendid and fun to watch, a sheer delight! Lord Krishna is very pleased with you for your noble service. Now we are planning to take more of your amazing courses!